Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

We had a fun one at work. I think the faculty have more fun with this one than the students do. One of my colleagues wore all sorts of green bling to his classes, while the students seemed focused on learning.

I see the dual advantage of giving an exam right before spring break: (1) the students have it all crammed in their heads from studying and doing homework right up to the exam, with no chance to forget it all over break, and (2) the wake up call when they get back from a week of work or partying and get the exam back.

2 comments:

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Oh I bet they love you! :)

Doctor Pion said...

Some do, some don't, but my observation of the status of my classroom world as of the Tuesday after spring break was that they really did seem to buckle down and get back to work really quickly. I'm not sure if that would have helped if I had been the person dressed up as a tall green elf.

The other possibility - making them happy by having no exam before spring break so they could leave early - leads to unmitigated disaster. They suddenly become very unhappy when they discover what they need to relearn if they have to take a test the week after break.