Friday, July 25, 2008

Names

I don't know about you, but I always dread reading the class roll that first day - and I worship the guy who reads the names at graduation. (Even with phonetic spellings, I still don't know how he does it.) I always have some students with creative names.

So imagine my reaction when I saw this story about a name change being granted in New Zealand.

I don't think I could read "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii", or, rather, "Hawaii, Talula Does The Hula From?" with a straight face.

Or "Number 16 Bus Shelter" (from the article).

Or "Mangled Brown Fence-Post" or "Jenna Dana Bananarama Rater" from the comments. "Mr Fence-Post, what did I forget to include in that free-body diagram?"

But I can related to "Russell Sprout". I once knew a guy who wanted to name his daughter Peach Pitt.

And now I know why Monty Python made up some of those crazy names ...

No comments: