Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Grading Playlist

Pretty good progress grading so far. Got all of my final lab reports and lab exams graded so they could be returned at the final exam for the lecture course, and wrapped up the final exam for one class (the small one). That took me through

  • Cream: Strange Brew
  • Beach Boys: Made in the USA
  • Heart (the debut album)
...
  • Jethro Tull Original Masters
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Beatles: With the Beatles
which carried me through on-line grade entry for those three classes.

On tap is my larger class, where I still have to "take" the exam and write out the grading key. That will probably look like
  • The Beatles: Love (to work the exam)
  • Led Zeppelin (reprised due to recent concert)
  • Jimi Hendrix: The Ultimate Experience
  • Les Negresses Vertes: Mlah
  • Temptations: 17 Greatest Hits
If that does not do it, I'll add an update.

PS - Gotta love the tune "Zobi La Mouche" from the debut album of Les Negresses Vertes, a French band whose use of folk instruments (including the accordion) produces a sound that reminds me of Cajun music. Great energy for grading. The only problem with it showed up when I asked a young french post-doc to translate the lyrics. She was too embarrassed to tell me more than what the title meant.

Addendum: I did have to add a few disks to finish that last exam. Since I knew that I needed to think hard about the N-8 distinct wrong answers to a problem some of them found particularly hard, then slam through the last few problems and add them up, I went with
  • Beatles: Rubber Soul
  • Miles Davis: Relaxin'
  • Yes: Fragile
  • Beethoven: 9th Symphony (Dresden Philharmonic with the Berlin and Leipzig Radio Choruses)
That did it.

No comments: